Parent/Guardian Code of Conduct
Upon registering your child you agree to abide by the Westside Girls Minor Fastball league rules, regulations, and parents’ code of conduct. Parents, fans, and coaches who follow this simple code can help reinforce what sports are all about…BEING FUN FOR EVERYONE.
I therefore agree:
1. I will not force my child to participate in sports.
2. I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults
3. I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
4. I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
5. I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials, and spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event.
6. I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
7. I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well being of the athletes.
8. In will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
9. I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex, or ability.
10. I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
11. I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
12. I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
13. I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning. I will also de-emphasize games and competition in the lower age groups.
14. I will promote the emotional and physical well being of the athletes ahead of my personal desire I may have for my child to win.
15. I will respect the officials and their authority during games, and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
16. I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and will refrain from their use at all sports events. I will refrain from coaching my child and other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
17. I will NOT be part of any bullying of any player and/or coach
18. My child will NOT be part of any bullying of any player and/or coach
I also agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines, I will be subject to disciplinary action that could include, but is not limited to the following:
• Verbal warning by official, head coach, and/or head of league organization.
• Written warning
• Parental game suspension with written documentation of incident kept on file by the organization.
• Game forfeit through the official or coach
• Parental season suspension
• If a parent, friend, or relative is suspended, that person may drop off a player and must leave the park completely once the activity starts, and may not return to pick up the player until the activity has ended.
• The board will determine the length of any suspension.
ATHLETE CODE OF CONDUCT (U14 and Above)
The overall experience for athletes participating in sports should promote the development of healthy and positive values towards themselves, fellow athletes, officials and coaches. The following Code of Conduct has been developed to aid athletes in achieving a level of behaviour, which will assist them in becoming well rounded, self-confident and productive human beings.
Athletes have a responsibility to:
1. Treat everyone fairly within the context of their activity, regardless of gender, place of origin, colour, sexual orientation, religion, political belief or economic status.
2. Consistently display high personal standards and project a favorable image of their sport and of playing.
a. Refrain from public criticism of fellow athletes, coaches and officials.
b. Abstain from the use of tobacco products and discourage their use by fellow athletes and coaches.
c. Abstain from drinking alcoholic beverages while participating in athletic events.
d. Abstain from possession or use of any substance prohibited by Federal or Provincial Law.
e. Adhere to the guidelines provided by the Canadian Centre for Drug-Free Sport and abstain from the use of all Banned substances and methods.
f. Refrain from the use of profane, insulting, harassing or otherwise offensive language.
g. Refrain from vandalism and personal misconduct; to abstain from any malicious damage to property or persons.
h. Abstain from personal misconduct causing harassment to participants, officials, coaches or spectators.
3. Treat opponents and officials with due respect, both in victory and defeat.
4. Uphold the rules of the Westside Minor Fastball Society and the spirit of those rules. Athletes must:
a. Respect the dignity of coaches, officials and fellow athletes; verbal or physical behaviours that constitute harassment or abuse are unacceptable (definition of harassment is attached).
b. Never advocate or condone the use of drugs or other banned performance enhancing substances or methods.
c. Never provide any other athletes with alcohol.
I have read and understand the above statements and agree to conduct myself in a manner that demonstrates the standards established in the Athletes’ Code of Conduct. Athlete: Date:
ATHLETE CODE OF CONDUCT (U12 and lower)
The overall experience for athletes participating in sports should promote the development of healthy and positive values towards themselves, fellow athletes, officials and coaches.
The following Code of Conduct, for petites and below, has been developed to aid athletes in achieving a level of behaviour, which assists them in becoming well-rounded, self-confident and productive human beings.
a. I will play Fastball because I want to, not just because others or coaches want me to.
b. I will play by the rules of Fastball, and in the spirit of the game.
c. I will control my temper – throwing equipment and “mouthing” off can spoil the activity for everybody.
d. I will respect my teammates and the members of the other team.
e. I will do my best to be a true team player.
f. I will remember that winning isn’t everything – that having fun, improving skills, making friends, and doing my best are most important.
g. I will acknowledge all good plays/performances – those of my team and my opponents.
h. I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect.
i. I will remember that at all times, on and off the field, to proudly represent my Team, Association and the WMFA Community."
I agree to this code of conduct, and will follow it.
Parent/Guardian’s Signature: ___________________________________________________